Our commitment for the environment is constant, ambitious and innovative

Renner Italia coatings are formulated to respect nature and people. These coatings are safe for the user and for anyone who deals with them.

We protect the climate

We are aware of the important role of the industry in the fight against global warming. For this reason, we created the project Rennerlab – Eco Friendly that accepted the challenge issued by the United Nations at COP21 in Paris 2015.

Eco Friendly

Rennerlab – Eco Friendly project wants to build a safe environment for those who choose coating as a design element for their places.

The aims of Rennerlab – Eco Friendly project are
0 emissions / the elimination of the dangerous components / a better indoor air quality / the creation of safer and more liveable spaces / the co-participation to the policies of savings of materials and energy. With a simple and effective communication activity, Rennerlab – Eco Friendly also wants to help the customer in the choice of chemical products and the selection of water-based products more in line with the current environmental needs.


Renner Italia coatings are formaldehyde free. Formaldehyde (systematic name: methanal, similar to: formic acid) can be found in the composition of resins widely used in the production of objects, coverings, glues, spray foams. Inside coatings, formaldehyde has always been useful for three reasons: / antibacterial / anti-fermentation / anti-mould

Coatings and formaldehyde: problems for human’s health

Formaldehyde is a molecule with two dangerous qualities: it spreads out easily and its is highly toxic. Particular concentrations of this element may cause respiratory and eye irritation, especially in asthmatic or allergic individuals. It is lethal if swallowed or inhaled in large quantities.

In 2001, the World Health Organisation set 100 micrograms per metrocube (0,1 parts per million – ppm) as the maximum indoor concentration limit for formaldehyde. In Italy, this was adopted in 2008 as the maximum indoor threshold by Gazzetta Ufficiale No. 288. In 2004, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (Iarc) declared formaldehyde a carcinogen. As of 2016, formaldehyde is no longer classified in the countries of the European Union as a substance «suspected of causing cancer», but one that «can cause cancer». Regardless of the legal dictate, Renner Italia decided long ago to permanently eliminate formaldehyde and its precursors from its coatings. The chemical-mechanical performance previously provided by formaldehyde is now guaranteed by non-carcinogenic solutions.

Evergreen, the eco-friendly packaging

Aquaris range for wood is packed inside exclusive Evergreen cans and reduces the disposal of special wastes.

Packagings contaminated with coating are considered special wastes and, as such, must be disposed of. Evergreen is a tinplate can internally coated with a high-density polyethylene foil.

100% Clean

Renner Italia’s production plants Only work with green energy

Rennerlab – EcoFriendly project is far from old production routines. Indeed, Renner Italia’s coatings production is possible thanks to the energy produced exclusively with renewable sources. Renner Italia’s plants are powered with hydroelectric, eolian, solar and biomass energy. In this case too, Renner Italia’s green objective is to reduce the polluting impact of the energetic system and to preserve the environment. For these reasons, the company achieved the Origin Warranty and the label “100% renewable energy”; a way to underline its choices. Renner Italia follows an environmentally friendly politics since its origins. Renner Italia has always encouraged the water-based research: products with a low volatile organic compound but a high performance in terms of resistance and beauty. The green path that goes through Minerbio (Bologna) connects the industrial growth with the respect for nature of Renner Italia. A necessary path to follow.

Photovoltaic field on our rooftops

40-45% of the company’s needs are covered by solar energy
The photovoltaic field extending across our Minerbio production site covers an area of 8,000 square meters. Thanks to this infrastructure, we generate over 2,100,000 kWh of electricity annually. This production satisfies 40-45% of our company’s consumption, while the remaining 60-55% continues to be supported by completely clean energy. The installation of our photovoltaic system avoids the emission of 2,000 tons of carbon dioxide per year. To provide a tangible idea of the impact, it’s equivalent to saving the CO2 emissions of 130 flights from Las Vegas to San Francisco or completing 520 car travels around the Earth. To achieve the same environmental benefit, it would require planting 115,000 trees.